Monday, May 30, 2011

And you thought this blog was all bad news

I just read two articles that I thought I'd share. Both tie into my previous post about the dangers of sitting.

1.  Are we obese because we sit all day?  Some say yes, some say no.  This guy thinks it's about 20% sitting, 80% eating.

2.  So what's the solution?  Well, you could just walk a little more.  See, a solution! Something positive! And you thought this blog was all bad news. (Tiffani, I'm looking at you.)

(Aside: Friends, I hope you're ready for me to suggest walking as every activity we ever do together. What's that? You're still washing your hair? Weren't you doing that last time I asked you to hang out with me?)

More on forks vs. feet here.

And woah, I just learned something new:
...a formerly-obese person burns 20% less calories than a never-obese person of that lower weight - or in other words a 200 lb person, who loses 40 lbs burns about 20% fewer calories than someone who is 160 lbs, but has never been obese.
My lord! That blows. I need to get up and start moving before it's too late!  My three scheduled spinning sessions next week should help.

Los Angeles, I will not miss your car-heavy culture.


***

It's funny 'cause it's true.

1 comment:

  1. I do love when you post "good" news on the blog. The bad news about this post though is that I have to stop sitting AND stop eating. Damn.

    ReplyDelete