Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Now I have to wear sunscreen when I drive?

Apparently your car windows don't filter out cancer-causing deathly sun rays, says The New York Times:
In a study published last year in The Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, researchers at St. Louis University School of Medicine examined the records and histories of more than 1,000 patients referred to a local skin cancer clinic. They found that people who had spent the most time driving a car each week were more likely to develop skin cancers on the left sides of their bodies and faces — the side exposed to more sunlight while driving. In patients with malignant melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, 74 percent of the tumors were found on the left sides, compared with 26 percent on the right.
(Pubmed abstract here.)

This is reason #1,504 that I need to get out of Southern California. I can't escape the awful death rays!

****

Related: Below is a picture I drew during a boring meeting over the summer. It was so hot and so sunny that day, the memory still makes me shudder.

1 comment:

  1. 1) hilarious, but everyone knows you should wear sunscreen when you are on a long drive and the sun is shining - right? Unless you have tinted windows. But does the tint affect the UV rays? I don't know.

    2) that picture is ridiculous. and I love it.

    ReplyDelete