Friday, January 6, 2012

Year-end ruminations

Oh--hello, blog. I'm feeling a bit melancholy as 2011 wraps up*, and I'm not in much of a blogging mood. Nevertheless, I thought I should do something to mark the end of what was quite a momentous year for me...and the planet. So I thought: How about an old-school Jessicool year in review, but with a new-school doomsday twist? Sounds fun, let's try it out.

January, 2011

In my life: Hot off of a month-long vacation at my childhood home, armed with half of a literature review for my dissertation (!), I decided to get off my fat ass and move a little more. So I did a bunch of hiking, where by "hiking" I mean "walking up mild-to-moderate inclines on dusty hills within or very close to the Los Angeles city limits." The views were mostly smoggy, but it was good to get out.


In we're-all-gonna-die news: On just the second of the year, there was a giant earthquake in Chile. This was followed almost immediately by awful flooding in Australia. Oh yeah - and then there was that rash of mass animal deaths. Apocalypse-believers doubtlessly went crazy.

February, 2011

In my life: February, 2011 saw me cultivating my love for a new (to me) game called Dominion, learned over break from my brother-in-law. This cultivation mostly took the form of me teaching the game to everyone I know and making them play with me whenever possible. I know it looks suspiciously like Magic (see right), but don't let that fool you: It is a sweet game that's not nerdy at all.**

**Lies. Totally nerdy. But also totally sweet.

In less awesome but quite related news, on the way to one of my many February Dominion nights I walked out to my car to discover a GIANT DENT in the rear bumper. Woe is me, it appears somebody ran into my car--hard--and drove away. My crime-scene sleuthing revealed it was a blue vehicle (based on the blue paint found on my bumper), and that it must have been a truck (based on the height of the dent), but that information never lead to the apprehension of the dent maker (surprising, I know). I thought I might get the dent fixed, but my insurance informed me I had a $1000 collision deductible...so I settled for driving a sloppy jalopy.

In we're-all-gonna-die news: I would be remiss if I did not mention that this here blog was begun in February, 2011, to the delight of doomsday prophesiers everywhere. Also to the delight of said prophesiers (but certainly not most other people), there was a giant earthquake in New Zealand, which caused many deaths. And let's not forget that Borders declared bankruptcy in February 2011, a move that proved the beginning of the end for what was, in my opinion, the best of the big-box bookstores.

March, 2011


In my life: In March, 2011, I drove up to the Bay Area to celebrate the 30th birthday of one of my oldest and closest friends. We had a grand old evening celebrating Jessie's entrée into her 30's, an evening so grand that it may or may not have ended up with me waking up on the floor in the middle of the night...and not Jessie's floor, either. But I can neither confirm nor deny that story.

In we're-all-gonna-die news: A simply enormous earthquake hit Japan in March 2011, followed closely by an equally enormous tsunami. Then, to add insult to widespread injury, a Japanese nuclear power plant damaged in the quake was found to be leaking radiation all over the place...radiation even got into the food! Bad, bad news all around.

April, 2011

In my life: April was an exciting month for my whole family, because my sister pushed a baby out her lady hole. It was like, one day I'm just a generic person, and then BAM, next day I'm an aunt! And Lo, was my new nephew ever cute. I met him on FaceTime when he was just hours old!


In we're-all-gonna-die news: April, 2011 saw a "tornado outbreak" in the US, with a record-smashing 753 tornadoes observed, mostly in the southeastern states. 369 people were killed, and thousands more injured. The media debated whether the slew of tornadoes could be linked to global warming. I decided to just go ahead and believe they can be.

May, 2011

In my life: In May, 2011 I got to meet my nephew! He was so excited to see me that he fell asleep right on his face (see below). In May I also went to a conference where I gave five presentations, including one based on my dissertation research (the first public discussion of my results!), but really, meeting my nephew was by far the highlight of the month.


In we're-all-gonna-die news: How could I not mention that in May 2011, the official math-and-bible-proved Judgment Day failed to happen? Or rather, that it might have happened, but if so, it was "invisible"? May was not a good month for the believers in Harold Camping's apocalypse, let's just say that.

June, 2011

In my life: June, 2011 was a month of big changes for me. I "graduated" (read: marched in graduation ceremonies but received no diploma), and I moved clear across the country. My dad and spent a lovely week driving my car back east, and then I spent my last week of no-full-time-job-freedom playing with my nephew and just in general being a layabout. It was glorious...I read a lot of books.

Oh yeah: Also in June, my dad's car guy popped out the dent in my car's bumper--for just $150! I was thrilled. Still am.

In we're-all-gonna-die news: June 2011 saw E. Coli attacking Germany and other European countries, via bean sprouts. Over here in America, "natural" disaster reigned supreme, with disastrous flooding along the Missouri river and humongous forest fires in New Mexico and Arizona.

July, 2011

In my life: July 2011 was once again a month of upheavals for me, as I officially moved (back) to Boston and started my first full-time job since 2005. But in way funner news, after moving back to Beantown I reconnected with my good friend Christine, her husband, and her new and adorable baby, and I spent many a July weekend at their house. During this time, Christine and I jointly discovered a love of jam-making, and we did quite a bit of it, preserving the summer's bounty--much of which we picked ourselves!


I'll just mention in passing (because I really don't want to get into it) that also in July, I discovered that the person I was subletting a room from (for two months only, thank goodness) was batshit crazy, a discovery that meant I spent a lot of time in places that were not my apartment...like the mall, where, lucky for me (but not my wallet), Border's had a several month-long going out of business sale. I purchased more than 20 books at Borders before summer's end. Sadly I did not read the books at quite such a rate, but what can you do.

In we're-all-gonna-die news: July wasn't a good month for the world, all considered. The month started with flooding along the Yellowstone river, and a concurrent and likely related oil spill in said river in Montana (Oh, Exxon, you did it again!). Meanwhile, Texas and other central/southeastern states experienced an extreme drought (29% of the country was affected!). The drought eventually dried up entire lakes in TX, killed 20+ people in the central and southern states, and decimated poultry farms, among many other deleterious effects. Part of the extremeness of the drought was due to the July heat wave that spread from the midwest to the east coast, a heat wave I can personally confirm was no fun at all. Meanwhile, in wet weather news, the first tropical storm of the 2011 season (Arlene) hit Mexico and killed 11 people, Chile got inundated with snow to the tune of four month's worth in four days, and China experienced insane amounts of rain. All in all, I think July proved that the planet's weather is as crazy as my summer 'landlord'!

August, 2011

In my life: The rash of extreme weather collided with my life in late August, 2011, when I buckled down and bravely weathered hurricane Irene, which mostly meant spending the day inside and occasionally peeking outside to determine if anything exciting was happening (it was not).


In August Christine and I also continued our canning frenzy, picking upwards of 50 pounds of tomatoes in one day, and spending the next 8 hours peeling, chopping, stewing, and canning said tomatoes. The best thing we made was ketchup, which was so delicious that I ate all of mine almost immediately. Thankfully, Christine went and made more on her own, and she's been generous enough to share the summer bounty with me, a bit at a time, over the past few months. My taste buds thank her profusely.


In we're-all-gonna-die news: Setting aside the devastation wrecked by Hurricane Irene, August was mostly notable for its demonstration of American stupidity. Amid much hullabaloo (whyy); Kim Kardashian got married in an umpteen-billion dollar wedding ceremony (slight exaggeration); the United States government dicked around so long on the debt ceiling thing that our credit rating got downgraded; bona-fide bonehead Rick Perry announced he thinks he's fit to lead the country (upside: this happened); Jersey Shore season 4 aired on TV and the first episode got a record-breaking 8.8 million viewers (among whom I am included, shamefully)...Gosh. Need I go on?

September, 2011

In my life: I finally moved into an apartment of my own in September, and although I had to live for over a week with pretty much no furniture and very little light, it was glorious to be out of the summer hellhole. Equally momentous, a few days after moving in to my abode I traveled to Chicago (where I somehow got stuck with an enormous rental car that I almost ran into so many things, but that's a story for a different day), to celebrate the marriage of my college friend Bill. The wedding was beautiful, I don't believe I made too much of an ass of myself dancing, and I would have declared the weekend a smashing success if I hadn't maybe-broken my finger in a pre-wedding softball game (slight exaggeration, but the damn thing still hurts).


In we're-all-gonna-die news: September 2011 was the month of the Lysteria-laced cantaloupes, as I have reported previously. By the end of the month, thirteen people were dead and 72 were sick from the bug, and those numbers continued to rise over the course of October.

October, 2011

In my life: In October of 2011, I turned 30 and did not even come close to having the breakdown I thought I would. All in all it was a really nice birthday...and month: I finished the fourth chapter of my dissertation!


In we're-all-gonna-die news: While October saw me celebrating 30 years of life on the planet, it also saw the planet's population hit 7 billion (give or take). The media (and my brain) went crazy thinking about the implications of 7 billion people and counting...and I don't want to spoil the surprise, but they're not good. Oh, and then there was that freak snowstorm in the Northeast that basically cancelled Halloween. There were trees down everywhere...I almost got trapped at some friends' house. Good thing they had a saw we could use to dismember the tree blocking the driveway. Bad thing they didn't have a generator, as they lost power for quite a length of time.

November, 2011

In my life: Two exciting things happened in November, the first of which is that I finally got a couch for my apartment! I'd ordered the couch--my first grown-up non-Craigslist piece of living room furniture--at the beginning of September, but it didn't arrive for months and months (during which time I used lawn chairs as my living room furniture). I was beyond thrilled when the couch showed up; it's comfy, the exact color I wanted, AND it fit in my house (though just barely). Man, I wish I were sitting on it right now (dreamy sigh).


The other (arguably more exciting) thing that happened in November was that my good friend Tiffani got married. I'm going to go ahead and take credit for her happiness, because it was me, after all, who goaded her into joining OkCupid, where she met the man of her dreams on pretty much her first day on the site. Eight months later (or something ridiculous like that), they were married. I was really happy to be there to help them celebrate!


In we're-all-gonna-die news: Gosh, am I only on November? I am getting tired of searching for terrible news from 2011. You can go here for a wrap up of extreme weather in November, 2011, which included a lot of heatwaves and floods (did you see that crap in Italy?) and even a snowstorm in Iran. Oh...and then there was this.

December, 2011

In my life: December just finished, and nothing seems particularly momentous about the month except that my nephew learned how to crawl (aka, make extra trouble for mommy). Oh, and I finally paid off my credit card debt. No more absurd interest rates for me! Hooray!


In we're-all-gonna-die news: December was much more momentous for the world than it was for me: there were forest fires in Patagonia, a deadly tropical storm in the Philippines, a "scary" volcanic eruption in Ecuador, flash floods in Indonesia, a devastating cyclone in India, a big volcanic eruption in Alaska, an earthquake in New Zealand...I think I'll stop now, I'm depressing myself.

Want more doom? This is worth checking out.

Aaaand...that's all, folks. Well, that's all the news that's fit to print, anyway. I've omitted several significant news stories from my life because they concern areas I do not, as a rule, blog about, and I've doubtlessly left out many terrible global news stories. In fact, I'm sure I've left out many pertinent news items, given the non-systematic, non-comprehensive, and just generally shoddy "research" I did for this post. But let's be honest, isn't this entry long enough? It's time to quit.

************

BONUS! More about me:

The year in numbers (Idea stolen from K)

Professionally:

Conferences attended: 4
Papers presented: 5
Papers presented at a single conference: 4 (plus a pre-conference workshop)
Papers published: 1

Dissertation proposals finished: 1
Dissertations finished: 0
Dissertation pages written by end of October, 2011: 310
Dissertation pages written in November & December, 2011: 0

Jobs applied for: 1
Jobs offered: 1
Jobs taken: 1

Personally:

States visited: 16 (California, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, New York, Massachusetts, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Connecticut (for a knitting convention, no joke), Maine, Illinois)
Car ferries ridden on: 1
National parks visited: 5 (Petrified forest, Arches, Channel Islands, Badlands, Acadia)
National Monuments visited: 1 (Mt Rushmore)
Round trip flights: 5
Road trips to destinations 6 or more hours away: 7
Foreign countries visited: 1 (Canada, twice, once by plane and once by car)

Weddings attended: 2
Engagements of close friends announced: 3
Babies born to close friends & family: 3

Microwaves ruined by marshmallows: 1
Beers brewed: 1
Jams made: 5 (blueberry, raspberry, cherry, plum (aka "cardamom explosion"), cranberry pomegranate)
Pounds of tomatoes picked: ~50
Shoes ruined picking tomatoes: 2
Jars of homemade ketchup made: Not enough
Hurricanes weathered: 1 (Irene)
Trebuchets built: 1

Books read or listened to: 44, 34 fiction and 10 nonfiction (Favorite of all: this one.)
Books read on paper: 10
Books read on Kindle: 18
Books listened to: 16

Knitted items finished: 10 (by far the best)
Knitted items started but not finished: 2
Finished knitted items made for babies: 7
Finished knitted items made for me: 2

Computers ruined by spilled water: 1
Computers purchased with proceeds from insurance policy on computer ruined by spilled water: 1

Times "your mom" came out of my mouth: WAY TOO MANY

Posts made to this here blog: 78

And with that, I shall cease writing. HAPPY NEW YEAR!



*My god, it took me forever to finish this. Finding all those disasters to chronicle was hard work!

14 comments:

  1. Ok. Few comments.

    First, I like that there was some personal Jessicool summary on this post. I miss that. I know that this blog isn't a personal blog, and I accept that, but it's nice to see some personal recap.

    Second, I totally remember Christine from back in the day of the old blogs! Yay Christine!

    Third, four is a ton of papers to present at a conference. egads!

    Fourth, I'd been wondering about the dissertation. Just finish it already. Do it.

    Fifth, Happy New Year, Jessicool!!!

    I hope 2012 is fabulous for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I miss the 'how people got to my blog' summaries from old-school Jessicool sites. Would you still be liger/tion (or whatever) world expert if the old blog still existed. I imagine people make it to this site in pretty silly ways...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why'd you build the trebuchet? How was it?

    I put your best book of the year on my list. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't do much knitting last year. I'm really disappointed in myself for it.

    Maybe I'll make you something this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. I seriously JUST was writing a blog just like this post today. You'll see. Now because you finished yours I am motivated to put aside theoretical frameworks and finish mine, so it can be published the same day. Weird, right. Great minds and all, I guess.
    And yes, you should totally take credit for most (at least) of my happiness with Curby. We certainly give you a lot of credit for it. :)
    And we miss you a lot. Come visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon: Ha, I forgot about the ligers. I'm sure Wikipedia has a lock on that market by now. At the moment, I'm close to the #1 world expert for the search of "My dissertation is killing me". Google claims I'm the #3 hit for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Figured I'd play along.

    2011: By the Numbers

    Professionally:
    Wells drilled: 10.5 (just finished the last one)

    Educationally:
    Months taken off from school: 12

    Personally:
    Months spent at home: 2, and maybe a week
    States visited: 11 (Alaska, California, Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Missouri, Illinois, New York, New Jersey)
    Countries visited: Canada, England

    Weddings attended: 2

    ReplyDelete
  8. And if you have both CA and MA on your 'states visited' add CO to my list. And those knitting needles are huge! I just showed them to my mom. I have one set of biggish needles. Not that big. But circular.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmmm... it's still not a well. They're having trouble getting liner to bottom. Big coal in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You could've taken the 'm' out of the ruminations in the post title and it would have fit well with the blog theme and all the bad stuff that happened in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So. My father is reading the DT Max book now. Interestingly, I just learned that he (she?) is David Foster Wallace's biographer. Also hung out with another Jessica reader over the weekend and had a Jessicool dream. Hope all's well. Dissertation included.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My father didn't finish the DT Max book. But I finally got to reading it. Hi Jessicool!

    ReplyDelete