Tuesday, January 7, 2014

This is going to give me nightmares

According to some website I've never heard of, this is the world's most dangerous trail. It's in China. It takes you up the tippy top of a mountain...to a teahouse. Tea sure seems worth risking death to me!

Even if it's not the most dangerous trail in the world, it certainly seems like a good contender:

La la la, no safety railing, no big deal.

Just hang on to the chain and hope your backpack doesn't bang into the side of the mountain, sending you off balance...you'll be fine.

Sandals are perfect footwear for this excursion.

Oh, and then there's the part where you climb straight up the side of the mountain.

I wonder how many people plunge to their deaths on this trail every year. When I visited the Grand Canyon as a teenager, and refused to hike down the trail from the rim, even for an hour, and consequently spent a few hours waiting in the gift shop for my group to finish their hike, I learned that 3-4 people fall of the Grand Canyon every year. And the path there is SO much wider.

From Wikipedia:
Huashan has historically been a place of retreat for hardy hermits, whether Daoist, Buddhist or other; access to the mountain was only deliberately available to the strong-willed, or those who had found "the way". With greater mobility and prosperity, Chinese, particularly students, began to test their mettle and visit in the 1980s. The inherent danger of many of the exposed, narrow pathways with precipitous drops gave the mountain a deserved reputation for danger. As tourism has boomed and the mountain's accessibility vastly improved with the installation of the cable car in the 1990s, visitor numbers surged. Despite the safety measures introduced by cutting deeper pathways and building up stone steps and wider paths, as well as adding railings, fatalities continued to occur. The local government has proceeded to open new tracks and created one-way routes on some more hair-raising parts, such that the mountain can be scaled without significant danger now, barring crowds and icy conditions. Some of the most precipitous tracks have actually been closed off. The former trail that led to the South Peak from the North Peak is on a cliff face, and it was known as being extremely dangerous; there is now a new and safer stone-built path to reach the South Peak temple, and on to the Peak itself.

Many Chinese still climb at nighttime, in order to reach the East Peak by dawn —though the mountain now has many hotels. This practice is a holdover from when it was considered safer to simply be unable to see the extreme danger of the tracks during the ascent, as well as to avoid meeting descending visitors at points where pathways have scarcely enough room for one visitor to pass through safely.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man. I'd never heard of ViralNova either before today. My cousin sent me an email with a link to this on the 2nd, but I didn't get around to opening it up and looking at it until today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I found myself on that thing I'd probably immediately give up. Falling to my death seems less terrifying than trying not to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that it might be considered safer to "simply be unable to see the extreme danger" I'm about to start night hiking.

    ReplyDelete