Wednesday, August 22, 2012

May the hoboes inherit the earth

Every once in a while I come across something that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling about humanity, that makes me believe maybe things aren't so bad after all. Today that thing was this:

There is something called the National Hobo Convention.


Those of you who know me personally probably know I have a bit of a fascination with hoboes1 (though you, like me, probably have no idea why). Thus I was predictably thrilled this morning when I found out about the National Hobo Convention, which takes place annually in Britt, Iowa and has been going since 1900. The reason I discovered the storied event was that Buzzfeed sent one of its staff members (Matt Stopera) to the convention this year,2 and in response said staff member wrote "61 things I learned at the National Hobo Convention," and I discovered said 61 things, and...wow. What a marvel. You should read the article...it won't take long, and you'll come out with a new appreciation of hoboes. Not to mention the piece itself is pretty awesome, and studded with photographs. My favorite part was the hobo marriage vows:
We are in accord with the following:
1. You are the way you are, and, it's OK for you to be that way.
2. May my love for you always be greater than my need for you.
3. May I always do what's right even if it's not what I want.
4. To help you be a success in your way.
Isn't that unexpectedly lovely?

Mr. Stopera also profiled 8 hoboes, all of whom sound like real characters. Though I suppose you have to be a real character to make it as a hobo these days.

The simple fact that any of this exists has made me inexplicably happy.

***************

If you've got time to surf the web, check out all these hobo resources I discovered with only cursory effort:
I have a feeling there are a lot more hobo things lurking out there on the web just waiting to be discovered. Hoboes are awesome.

***************

1 It's unclear whether the preferred spelling is "hobos" or "hoboes." I've decided I prefer "hoboes" because it looks more old-timey.
2 Hobo reporter?! How do I get that job???

8 comments:

  1. I love those marriage vows. Unexpectedly lovely is right. Thanks for sharing about hoboes. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. And I just noticed that there are posts aside from this that I have to read. Your blog is being weird with RSS again. I've been traveling for a month - only just got home - but I had my computer with me at least part of the time and none of those posts popped up. So, on to the backlog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, Anonymous. And thanks for the hobo song!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pleasure. I'm nervous Amazon gave away my anonymity, but hopefully not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite the song lyrics, I myself am not any sort of misogynist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you hear the bit of the This American Life this week where the kid was scared to go to sleep because he grew up back by the tracks and when the house's lights went out hoboes would break in and the dad had to chase them off?

    ReplyDelete