Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Contagion = This blog times a million

Perhaps ill-advisedly, I saw Contagion over the weekend and omg I never want to touch anyone or anything ever again. I spent most of the movie curled in a fetal position, stressing out, and I walked out of the theater with a very strong desire to build a virus-proof underground shelter stocked with food, water, firearms, ammunition, and a BSL-4 grade biohazard suit. It's been a few days and I still have that urge, so perhaps I will spend my 30th birthday weekend (coming up too damn soon) preparing for the next global pandemic. Orrrrr....i'll spend it drinking wine. Only time will tell.


A professor at Columbia, who consulted on Contagion (and actually invented the film's (unnamed) disease (drawing from an real life bat-->pig-->human disease jumping example)) recently wrote an interesting op-ed piece about the film in the NYT that's worth a read. It describes the reality behind the film's fiction, which I think is important to consider, because it's far too easy to dismiss a fictional star-studded film as hyperbole when it's too hard or scary to face the real truths it brings to light.

***

Unrelated except in its apocalypse reference: Netflix would like to apologize for the inadvertent apocalypse.

6 comments:

  1. Wine! I'm out at the winery/orchards right now! Harvest season! I spent the morning titrating lots of honeycrisp apple juice that I smashed up to measure the total acidity from different orchards. Going to spend the afternoon leaf-thinning gewurtraminer vines...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your life sounds much more glamorous than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well. The leaf thinning has been not so fun. It's a jungle in there! And I've been at it for days. And that's not a good thing. But I'm saving the day! I feel like I'm paving a path of destruction down the south side of these rows... but it's good for the bunches to see a few weeks of sun before harvest! And I have to go do the Riesling vines tomorrow after bottling port in the morning. But the Riesling should be more manageable.

    Back to Alaska Monday. And four '02s coming to spend the weekend out here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm....riesling....

    I want whatever job you have, that lets you do these interesting things. I just sit here in my desk chair, all day every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the next few months I'm the geologist on this project. I work a few weeks on, a few weeks off, get paid ridiculously for what comes down to doing very very little (but I need to do it well), and have lots of fun time off...

    It's a pretty amazing gig, actually.

    And we had a great weekend and it was great having everyone out at the orchards/winery... the Fresh Hop Ale Fest. Walking in the orchards. Dogs playing. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And we pressed the Chardonnay Saturday too. Crush 2011 has begun!

    ReplyDelete