Thursday, June 26, 2014

Hot and sticky

Evidently, America is going to get a lot more hot and sticky over the course of my lifetime, at least according to the economics research firm Rhodium Group and two of the country’s top climate scientists, Robert Kopp of Rutgers and Michael Mastrandrea of Stanford.

I stole the following charts, which probably come from the Rhodium report, though I wouldn't know because I haven't read it (yet?), from an article titled These Maps Show How Many Brutally Hot Days You Will Suffer When You’re Old.

Who wants to move to Northern Maine with me??


The chart below shows the number of days per year in 2100 and 2200 when climate scientists predict the heat and humidity will be too high for humans to be safely outside. Thank goodness I'll be dead before 2200...



It's already too hot and sticky right now for my taste, and it's not even close to 95 degrees. Thank goodness I'm flying to Iceland tonight! Can't wait for the 50 degree weather! :)

14 comments:

  1. Iceland? En route to Europe or for Iceland's sake? Jealous.

    My buddy is off to Greenland today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom and I are taking a 10-day tour of Iceland. Should be good, especially for picture-taking!

      Delete
    2. I've never been, which surprises a lot of people. Have friends who have been, and the pictures are always amazing.

      Volcanoes and glaciers and pastoral Icelandic fun.

      Bring home some great yarn!

      Oooooh, I'm jealous jealous jealous. Really really jealous.

      Delete
  2. At least I have the benefit of knowing that since i was born before the charts started, I'll have fewer hot days?

    Also, if you consider Washington State instead of Maine, the Piehls will consider joining you. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you thinking about moving to Washington State or Maine? I would vote for Washington State too!

      Delete
  3. So I just got word that my dashingly handsome international climate science playboy friend just landed in Iceland. I'd emailed him this morning and received an auto-reply that "I am currently conducting field work sailing across the North Atlantic on a schooner with very limited internet connection.

    I will return to your email after July 12."

    Anyway. If you bump into him you should hang out for shore leave. Good guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he reports that he was just "interviewed for the main news channel here in Iceland so had to get out my emergency Tiger of Sweden shirt. I will send you a link as soon as it airs."

      So you can look for him on the news tonight.

      Delete
    2. Forgot to mention he's Danish. Not that it matters.

      Delete
  4. Well. It looks like I'm taking a new job on the North Slope of Alaska. So for more than half the year (half the time when I'm at work, plus winter months when I'm not at work), I certainly won't have to worry about it being hot or sticky. In fact, the high up there today is only 39 F. Just wait 'til winter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the flipside is the months when the sun doesn't rise, the Arctic winter temperatures, etc.

      Delete
  5. So how was Iceland, anyway? Pictures?

    And this...

    ReplyDelete