Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Time to book a trip to the Great Barrier Reef

RIP Coral Reefs.
All Coral Reefs Could Die by Century’s End

Every coral reef in the world will probably die off by the end of this century unless the production of carbon dioxide is curtailed severely, researchers from the Carnegie Institution for Science report. Accelerated carbon dioxide production is making the oceans more acidic, thus preventing the basic skeletons of coral reefs from being made.
Better get on that dream to snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef!*

Lighthouse Reef, Belize - Photograph by Brian Skerry, National Geographic


*...Although, maybe not. Are there starfish there? Starfish really creep me out.

Ugggggh, so creepy. Via.

7 comments:

  1. On the off chance you'll be in NY this next weekend, we could have lunch.

    Otherwise, let's find some dates to go to the Great Barrier reef!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, Anon, you are missing me by a week. I'm in NY now, but am headed back to the grind tomorrow. I'll be back at the beginning of next month, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man. Bummer.

    I think I remember us barely missing one another in SF one time.

    Very last minute trip on my part. Mostly to see the grandmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I'll be in the northeast middle-late September. Logistics not settled and looking a bit complicated, but probably flying into Manchester around the 18th, hanging out somewhere slight SE of there for a few days, and then heading up further into NH and then to northern upstate NY for a wedding, and then maybe trying to make my way to Coopertown (how? not sure...) to see some cousins for a few days following. And then fling out of somewhere?

    The wedding venue is a pain to get to. Cooperstown in a pain to get to. It'll all be very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well. We'll see. I can get around at least until the wedding. Then might be able to get a ride to Albany and get a bus to Coopertown from there or something. Then what airport I'd leave out of is up in the air. I might just skip Cooperstown. Just too isolated.

    Originally I thought I was gonna stay in the area a few weeks, but I had the date of one of the weddings wrong, in which case Cooperstown might've made more sense as a place to hang out for a bit.

    I don't want a car.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grammar/spelling in the original post was awful.

    'slightly'
    'flying'

    ReplyDelete