Saturday, February 23, 2013

All Men are Mortal, and All Fruit Flies Are Boozers

Well, I'm sorry to say I haven't particularly cheered up as of late...I even flew myself all the way to California in the hopes that a change of pace (and some friend time) would make me feel better, and I continued to mope while I was there because everything is terrible and we're all gonna die and I'm gonna die alone and I am the worst. But I have been doing a lot of thinking about how to make life a little more enjoyable and I guess a good start is some edjumucation. I do like learning me some new things! Like these random tidbits I've stumbled across lately:

In some more existential crisis news, I recently read All Men are Mortal, by Simon de Beauvoir. It was an odd book that I don't particularly recommend, but I mention it because it was more or less a meditation on immortality, and therefore on mortality, and on what makes a life meaningful. The main message I took from the novel is that individual lives are relatively meaningless and can make little impact (even immortal ones) and in the aggregate humans are constantly repeating their errors...but at least humans are mortal and get to die. So let this serve as a note to self: life might be pointless, but at least you'll die some day!

And hey look, this is topical:


As is this (from one of my favorite new (to me) blogs).

And this:

Via

Finally, to finish this long ramble, I can't wait to teach my nephew about what goats actually sound like:


1:24 is obviously the best part of this compilation.

10 comments:

  1. I'm going to go somewhere in a week or so, I think. Haven't figured out where. A lot of my friends who used to be in CA aren't there anymore. I may do a Pacific NW visit for a week or so. Not sure if I should fly or drive.

    Watching curling. It's my favorite thing about being in Canada in the winter - there's ALWAYS curling on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to read God's Doodle?

    Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. I'm working nights this week and I didn't have anything to do last night because of a bit trip and we just decided that we're tripping the bit again. Lucky me! I just started my shift and I ain't gots nothing to do. Making some dinner. Will do some reading. Sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you and your fancy facts. Thanks for sharing them. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. When Tiffani's comment first popped up on my RSS ticker and before I opened the page I was thinking that it was about 'fancy farts' - glad I read that wrong. But amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 'worst things for sale' blog has gotten pretty risque the last few days...

    ReplyDelete
  7. More on fruit flies - from the author of the book I just told you to read (and that I'm reading even now, myself)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started to read that, then got hung up on "Every plant is packed with chemicals with affects that we don’t understand"

    Those chemicals have such complicated emotional lives...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you be calling Natey-J a bad writer. But fair enough.

    I remember especially liking this article he wrote a few years ago. I was reminded of it the other night when I was comparing two seemingly similar cheeses for sale in a Canadian supermarket. One was rectangular, one was triangular, but otherwise both seemed to be the same thing except that one was more expensive. Only when I carefully read the tiny ingredients list did I learn that the more expensive one was made from unpasteurized milk. You would think that this would have been advertised more prominently on the labeling, I would have thought so, anyway.

    ReplyDelete